"You stand between two worlds. You have the knowledge and training of a field commander, but your military expertise is ever at odds with your reckless manner. You might devise some plan but abandon it quickly, giving in to your bloodlust and rage when circumstances change. When you do, your allies find your wrath infectious, the frenzy overtaking common sense as they smash through their opponents."
Warlords are trained warriors who excel at leading others into combat. Trained in tactics and generally charismatic, warlords direct allies in battle and use words of encouragement to keep them fighting when injured or demoralized. With the proper skill, warlords can direct flanking maneuvers, feints, and other clever tactics in order to overcome the power of their foes.
The power of a warlord comes from their physical training and learning in the art of war. The exact training of a warlord varies from individual to individual and some choose to focus their skills on leadership ability while others primarily learn as tacticians. Some warlords lead from the rear, directing their army through various subordinate commanders, while others prefer to lead from the thick of the fighting, inspiring their troops with their presence and martial prowess. Warlords of all kinds are trained in light and some heavy armors, as well as the use of most melee weapons.
All skilled warlords are adept leaders, or at the very least tactical counsels, and are able to lend their tactical expertise to their soldiers, resulting in quicker reaction and coordinated attacks. Likewise, warlords know how to maintain the morale of their allies, giving the fallen an encouraging shout in order to get them back in the fight.
Warlords in Valhalla
Figures with Warlord Synergy/Attacks
- Roman Legionnaires: Warlord Bonding: Before taking a turn with Roman Legionnaires, you may first take a turn with any Warlord you control.
- Sacred Band: Einar Warlord Bonding: Before taking a turn with Sacred Band, you may first take a turn with any Warlord you control who follows Einar.
- Armoc Vipers: Ullar Warlord Bonding: Before taking a turn with Armoc Vipers, you may first take a turn with any Warlord you control who follows Ullar.
- Grok Riders: Marro Warlord Bonding: Before taking a turn with Grok Riders, you may first take a turn with any Marro Warlord you control.
- Grok Riders: Mark of the Warlord: When attacking a figure that is adjacent to any Marro Warlord, Grok Riders add 2 to their attack dice.